Sunday, April 18, 2010

New bike owner

So, Nat had her first taste of motorcycle ownership - turning a wrench.

She's still riding parking lots, but that will change next weekend when we go for a nice, slow ride through town. She's already agreed to wake up early so we can enjoy the streets before traffic builds up.
She's getting bored with riding around in a circle and I don't blame her! I rode the bike to the practice lot and didn't like how the rear brake felt - as weak as an old spindly leg. It wouldn't even hold the bike still at a stop. So when we got home, we pulled out the manual and together adjusted the break pedal so it was nice and strong.
Nat didn't hesistate and was ready to work the wrench. I'm only a fair mechanic, a parts changer and not much more, but I can at least teach her how to change the oil, replace the plugs, and do the other general maintenance the bike will need.
That's one of the things about motorcycle ownership that's just different than owning a car - you sort of have to get your hands dirty. There are chains to lube and oil to check and tire pressure to maintain. Your safety is so much more dependent on the reliable operation of your bike, that you simply must take better care of it.
I'd never dream of going on a ride, even down the block, without checking my tires, making sure lights and switches are working, and just giving my bike the once over to make sure there isn't suddenly fluid or oils where there wasn't any before.
And yet, I hop into my car and drive off without so much as a glance.
It's just different.
I think Nat gets that.

No comments: