Sunday, May 31, 2009

California trip

So I'm heading out Sunday for my trip to California.
I've got a small tent, a too-big sleeping bag, and saddlebags that will barely hold a change of clothes and some extra food. Yikes!
Today, I made sure to buy a tire repair kit - something called Slime - and a canister of CO2 to inflate the tire should the need arise. I also bought a clutch cable to take as a spare. I've actually had one break on me years and years ago.
I spent about an hour putting together a small took kit - a socket set, some spare screws, wrenches, electric tape, stuff like that.
I don't have a specific itinerary. My general plan is to get as far south on Sunday as daylight allows. I don't want to ride at night and I don't want to push my bike hard.
So I'll camp when dusk approaches, though I'm hoping to at least reach Southern Oregon by then.
We'll just have to wait and see.
I plan to take photos and post them to my website. In fact, I should have taken photos today of my visit to Bent Bike in Auburn, Wash., and Cycle World, in my hometown of Tacoma, Wash.
Cycle World is OK for clothes and boots and things like that. But for my old bike, the place I go for parts is usually Bent Bike. They've got lots of spare parts for older bikes like mine, and the guys and girls working there know their beef about bikes.
It was good riding weather, just a bit warm. It was actually too warm to feel comfortable in my leather jacket, so I wore an old jean jacket I picked up at a Goodwill.
It was OK, but I forgot how easily those old jackets fill up with wind sometimes. It was like wearing a balloon at some points!
Tomorrow, of course, I'll be wearing the leather jacket, full face helmet and boots. I'll even put the armor in the jacket, to please the wife and spare me bones.

No comments: